Accident Investigation Training Course
This course is designed for investigators conducting investigations into operational and non-operational accidents, incidents and near misses. They may be new to the role or already have some experience and wish to update their current skills. It may also be suitable for Line Managers and others who may be called upon to investigate accidents.
The course has been developed following publication in September 2018 of RIS-3119-TOM (Rail Industry Standard for Accident and Incident Investigation), which sets out the requirements and standards to enable our members to satisfy their legal and regulatory obligations regarding investigations. The content of the course is informed by RIS-3119-TOM requirements and by a training needs analysis carried out by RSSB in 2018, which defined the training objectives investigators are expected to demonstrate.
The course content will include:
- Guiding principles of accident investigations
- Understanding the investigation process
- Understanding and gathering evidence
- Interviewing skills
- Human factors
- Analysis techniques
- Writing recommendations
- Writing effective reports
- Learning lessons from investigations
- Action planning for professional development
- Practical exercises and case studies are included throughout the course to maximise learning.