Passenger and public safety
Strategies and reports
Strategies that address priority risk mitigation issues and reports that record the state of risk across the rail industry, for those at or near the platform edge, on an annual, monthly or period basis.
- Leading Health and Safety on Britain’s Railway: Looks at 12 priority risk areas, a framework for the collaborative improvement of health and safety risk management
- Platform Train Interface Strategy: (P0155)
Tools, reporting and databases
- Competence development guide for dispatchers and guards: how to develop, and implement competence development plans in a fair culture.
- Crowding at Stations Guidance: considerations when preparing to manage crowds at stations
- Platform Aerodynamic Risk Assessment Tool: helps assess risk from passing trains and record decisions for mitigation measures. [RM3 – PI1]
- Platform Train Interface Risk Assessment Tool: web-based tool with mobile device input to assess risk to passengers across the station. [RM3 – PI1]
- Risk triggered commentary for train dispatch: booklet explaining the technique and how to use it.
- Precursor Indicator Model: Regularly updated accident precursor data in an Excel spreadsheet. You can filter results to suit your own needs. Standard reports are published every four weeks.
- Crowding on trains guidance: operational and design-based guide for those who manage on-train crowding.
- PTI Resource Centre (P0292)
Our work on driving trains includes tools and guidance for train drivers, driver managers and trainers, and designers of train cabs.
These are to help drivers be aware of factors that may affect performance when driving or preparing for duty.
Cognitive and Individual Factors Guidance: to raise awareness of factors that can influence the potential for driver error.
SJE Multi-Modal Interview and Written Communication Test training - three-day interactive course and follow-on workshop is to up-skill and certify railway assessment centre staff in the RSSB train driver selection methods (Situational Judgement Exercise, Multi-Modal Interview and the Written Communication Test).
21st Century Professional Driver DVD: addresses shift work and fatigue, handling personal problems, and maintaining concentration; with briefing notes.
Trainers and driver managers
These are for driver managers and trainers. Information includes support for driver selection and designing training materials for drivers.
- Cognitive and Individual Factors Guidance: about the factors that can influence driver (and other) error and guidance on proactive management and mitigation of human risk.
- Fair Culture Good Practice Guide for Drivers: good practice and case studies on implementation of a fair culture for improved safety risk management.
- Managing Drivers on Routes Undergoing Significant Change: good practice on briefing and change management for those in operational management roles. [RM3 –RCS3]
- Route Knowledge Guidance: to support route knowledge learning and retention for drivers and guards.
- Signals Passed at Danger Summary: monthly summary of SPAD incidents and potential severity. [RM3 – PI2,MRA1].
- Workload Assessment Toolkit: an approach to assessing train driver mental workload, whether too high or low. [RM3 –PI3]