RSSB monitors safety across the whole system. This section lists the strategies, reports, tools, risk models and other resources that help manage risk assessment and mitigation across the whole railway system. Strategies that address priority risk mitigation issues and reports that record the state of risk across the rail industry and mainline rail network on an annual, monthly or period basis.
- Leading Health and Safety on Britain’s Railway: looks at 12 priority risk areas, a framework for the collaborative improvement of health and safety risk management. This page also includes a quarterly monitoring report: a summary of implementation actions for the strategy's priority areas. [RM3 –OC2]
- Data and Risk Strategy: for developing knowledge, skills, processes, information and tools for managing risks to safety, health and wellbeing on Britain’s railway.
- Annual Health and Safety Report: a review of safety trends for passengers, workforce and the public. [RM3 – OC2, PI2, MRA1, MRA3]
- Common Safety Indicator Reports: Submitted by RSSB to Europe, to assess the achievement of Common Safety Targets. [RM3 –PI2]
- Learning from experience
- National Reference Values: a measure of safety performance submitted to the ERA to compare against Common Safety Targets. [RM3 –PI2]
- Network Rail Incident Log Summary: [RM3 –PI2]
- Periodic Summary: two-page, high-level overview of safety trends; published each period. [RM3 – PI2, MRA1]
- Rail Accident News: a monthly summary of rail accident news from around the world, focus is on learning. [RM3 –PI2]
- Rail Investigation Summary: monthly summary of published rail accident investigations from across the globe. [RM3 – PI2, MRA1, MRA3]
- Rail Safety Review: a monthly digest of articles to encourage consideration of safety management system arrangements. [RM3 – OC7, PI2, MRA1,MRA3]
- Safety Performance Reports: monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and yearly safety performance reports. [RM3 – PI2,MRA1]
- Safety Performance Group Packs: quarterly reports specific to each subgroup of the System Safety Risk Group. [RM3 – PI2,MRA1]
- Signals Passed at Danger Summary: monthly summary of SPADs and risk ranking.
Reporting tools and databases
Tools that you can use to input and retrieve incident data.
- Close Call: to record and manage conditions and behaviours that, under different circumstances, could have led to injury or harm. [RM3 – PI2,MRA1]
- National Incident Reporting online: system to record, analyse and share high-risk, safety-related defect rail vehicles, systems and components.
- Precursor Indicator Model: an estimate of train accident risk, updated monthly from SMIS data and risk models. [RM3 – PI1,MRA1]
- Safety Management Intelligence System: for the collection, sharing and analysis of safety incident data.
- Incident Factor Classification System
- Recommendations Tracking record
- SMIS Business Intelligence training
- SMIS system input training
- SMIS data requests: [RM3 –PI2]
- SMIS dashboards and KPIs (self-service) [RM3 – PI2, MRA1l
- SMIS Business Intelligence (self- service)
- Rail Notices: disseminates Urgent Operating Advice, Workforce Safety Alerts and other operational information across the UK rail industry.
Tools that you can use to assess the level of risk for a specific situation on the railway.
Safety Risk Model
- The Safety Risk Model: access to a network-wide risk profile. Use the outputs to understandyourownriskprofile,makeriskassessmentsandinvestmentdecisions. [RM3 – PI1]
- Dangerous goods train risk/hazard ranking
- Risk tools and models: business strategy and principles
- Incident Factor Classification System
- Safety Risk Model Profile Tool: [RM3 –PI1]
- SPAD Risk Ranking Tool: used by Network Rail to risk rank SPADs. [RM3 –PI1]
- SPAD Risk Ranking Methodology Handbook [RM3 – PI1]
- Other National Operations Publications: known as the Pink Pages and White Pages; updates to rules about dangerous goods and freight operations, respectively.
- Engineering Excellence into Competence: guidance for the development of competence management systems in all areas of the industry.
- Human Factors Awareness Course for Incident Investigators: focuses on the analysis of incidents and accidents from a human factors perspective.
- Measuring Safety Performance Guidance: to help you identify the best safety performance indicators to monitor for your key risks. [RM3 – SP3,PI2]
- Road Driving Resource Centre: web-based access to resources for managing and mitigating road risk for staff and passengers.
- Risk Management Forum: CPD and networking event for sharing, steering and developing good practice. [RM3 -MRA1]
- Safety Assurance Guidance: for Heads of Safety, explains how to meet the requirements of CSM M and improve the implementation of your safety management system. [RM3 –SP3]
- Safety management system advice and consultancy
- Safety Management System Principles – Moving Beyond Compliance: for those who want to take their existing safety management systems beyond minimum legal requirements. [RM3 –SP4]
If you would like to know more about any of these products or services, please contact us.