Here you will find strategies, confidential reporting options and other key resources to help you manage workforce safety.
The Infrastructure Safety Leadership Group (ISLG) is the lead group that support the delivery of the Workforce Safety risk theme of LHSBR.
Strategies and reports
- Leading Health and Safety on Britain’s Railway: looks at 12 priority risk areas, a framework for the collaborative improvement of health and safety risk management.
- ISLG has developed a Workforce Safety Roadmap to guide its activities in improving workforce safety.
- Monitoring of the Workforce Safety will be highlighted in LHSBR Quarterly Progress Report.
- Case study for track worker safety deep dive.
- RSSB provides a monthly report, ‘The Rail Safety Review,’ that will covers articles, research and reviews past incidents on Workforce Safety.
Reporting tools and databases
- CIRAS: Confidential Incident Reporting and Analysis Service for employees of transport operators and infrastructure managers.
- Members can make a data request using RSSB’s self-service portal.
Examples of workforce safety data requests include:
- Data on track worker near misses with trains going back 20 years.
- Track worker fatalities where lookout or site warden protection was being utilised.
- Data on industry slip, trip or falls (including for workforce) and on depot safety incidents.
- SMIS data on incidents involving runaway wagons.
- RED programme: a series of briefing tools on a range of safety issues for the workforce. Some include dramatic reconstructions of incidents. [RM3 –OC7]
- Right Track: a newspaper for front line rail industry workers with news and guidance on safety issues. Published three times a year. [RM3 –OC7]
- Road Driving Resource Centre: in the ten years to 2018 there were as many workforce fatalities on the road as on the infrastructure. These resources support reduction of the road driving risk to your employees.
- Road Traffic Collision Update
- The Rule Book: a modular series of common operating procedures for anyone working on or about the railway, including drivers, guards, station staff, signallers and infrastructure workers. Available in print and in an app.
- Human Factors Resources:
If you would like to know more about any of these products or services, please contact us.