Trespass Risk Assessment
The purpose of this guidance includes:
- Indicating a method that is consistent with the Common Safety Method – Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA)
- Enabling a consistent rail trespass risk assessment method is available to all organisations
- Ensuring the method is applicable to a wide range of locations including depots, running lines, stations, boundaries between duty holders and other railway locations
- Ensuring the deployment of mitigations to reduce incidents is informed by a consistent and good quality assessment of trespass risk; with clear, universally applicable, and weighted parameters
- To provide a link between risk assessment and RSSB guidance on trespass detection and prevention interventions.
Who is this guidance aimed at?
This guidance is aimed at anyone who has duties to carry out trespass risk assessment and anyone involved in carrying out risk assessment or making decisions based on trespass risk assessment activity, such as those involved in tackling and preventing route crime. Therefore, it does presume that the user will have some experience of carrying out risk assessments.
The guidance is aimed at duty holders: Network Rail (NR), British Transport Police (BTP), Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) and Train Operating Companies (TOCs). The types of roles typically involved are, in summary: Depot managers, Route Crime Managers (RCM), NR Infrastructure project managers, Operations Risk Advisors, Mobile Operations Managers (MOMs), Route Operations Control, Community Support Managers (CSMs) and Route Workforce Health and Safety Advisors.