Test Facilities Steering Group
The Test Facilities Steering Group (TFSG) is charged with delivering the tools and processes associated with the physical testing and trialling (T&T) facilities needed for successful innovation.
The group reports to the Technical Leadership Group (TLG).
Its scope and activities are defined in its remit and include:
- Facilities for testing technology from Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) 1 through to 9 with a focus on the higher TRLs and consideration of Manufacturing Readiness Levels (MRLs) and Industry Readiness Levels (IRLs).
- Facilities in the UK, recognising that these may not have originally been set up specifically for railway use, and that the group needs to maintain an overview of worldwide facilities.
- Physical testing and virtual testing (computational simulation).
- Facilities that can be used for testing technology for use on Britain’s railways: high speed, conventional rail, freight, metro and light rail.
- Whole system (including: rolling stock and infrastructure).
- Facilities remote from the operational railway.
Timescales aligned with the Rail Technical Strategy; now through to 2040.
While TFSG maintains a watching brief on test facility development and the testing programmes that use them, it does not assume responsibility for either.
Message from the chair
The group's membership is made up of the following industry categories:
- Strategic Projects
- Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Rail Supply Group
- Railway Industry Association
- Test Facility Operator
- Transport for London
- Light Rail
- passenger train operators
- rolling stock owners and leasing companies
- freight and other non-passenger train operators
- infrastructure managers and owners
- suppliers and rolling stock manufacturers
- Department for Transport (observer)
- Office of Rail and Road (observer).