People on Trains and in Stations Risk Group
The group considers risks to the workforce, passengers and public in stations and on-board trains on Network Rail controlled infrastructure and interfaces with other rail, resulting from trespass, assault and other crime and anti-social behaviour, train despatch and platform train interface, on board injuries, and slips trips and falls.
PTSRG’s scope includes:
- Risk to passengers, members of the public and members of workforce at stations and onboard trains; this includes
▪ Slips, trips and falls
▪ Platform train interface when boarding and alighting
▪ Platform train interface when not boarding and alighting
▪ Assault, abuse and anti-social behaviour
▪ Onboard injuries
▪ Contact with objects in stations
▪ Other injuries (eg contact with animals/insects or hazardous substances)
- Station operations (including staff competence and capabilities, station procedures and station designs).
- Monitoring the strategic risk profile and high priority precursor information (where available) for the above in relation to human error, equipment failure, environment or vandalism, and on any other risks as directed by SSRG.
- Injuries from train accidents, trespass, suicide, or at level crossings and route crime incidents are excluded.
Message from the chair
The group’s membership is made up of the following industry categories:
- British Transport Police
- infrastructure managers and owners
- passenger train operators
- Office of Rail and Road (observer).
- rolling stock owners and leasing companies
- trade unions.