Air Quality Working Group
The Air Quality Working Group (AQWG) is a specialist group reporting to the Sustainable Rail Leadership Group (SRLG). This working group facilitates industry collaboration on the development and delivery of UK rail’s strategic framework to meet its air quality ambitions.
AQWG holds the following functions and responsibilities:
- Being the endorsing body for the Air Quality Strategic Framework.
- Identifying opportunities to improve air quality effectively and efficiently at industry level.
- Commissioning studies, research and other methods to seek opportunities to improve air quality across the GB rail sector.
- Identifying solutions and making recommendations to relevant parties on implementation.
- Validating proposed goals, metrics, targets and route maps for rail industry sustainability aspects.
- Challenging sustainability proposals to ensure these are appropriate and robust.
- Identifying and sharing best practice for sustainability from within or outside GB rail.
The AQWG has members representing these industry stakeholders:
- Passenger Railway Undertakings
- Freight Operators
- Network Rail and other Infrastructure Managers
- Department for Transport