Road Driving for a Safer Railway - The Road Risk Charter
Featured story13 May 2021
This podcast looks at how RSSB and the Road Risk Group are collaborating with Highways England and its Driving for Better Business programme to increase the maturity of our occupational road risk management, and reduce the level of harm caused by driving for work.
Topics in this episode include:
- Steve describes his current position and railway career, and the sectors he worked in before joining the railway. [1:30]
- Steve describes what's in the Charter, who he wants to sign it, and the benefits that it will bring. [2:06]
- Steve explains why signing the charter and working collaboratively will bring greater benefits than going it alone. And about how we are all interconnected in our geographical areas of work. [3:30]
- Steve talks about the numbers involved in road accidents and how road driving risk touches the whole of our industry and society. [5:05]
- Steve answers a question about why companies should commit to the Charter when the future is uncertain and employees and resources are already stretched. [6:42]
- Steve answers a question about how road risk impacts even those companies that don't, or don't appear to, run vehicle fleets. [7:03]
- Steve puts forward the case for signing the Charter and engaging with road risk. He outlines some of the benefits that may come from looking more closely a road risk, including cost savings and reputational benefit. [8:09]
- Close. [9:47]
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Leading Health and Safety on Britain's Railway: Occupational Road Risk Management page
- Driving for Better Business website
- Road Risk Group web page
- Association for Road Risk Management
- National Freight Safety Group webpage.
- RoSPA, Management of Occupational Road Risk web page
- Infrastructure Safety Leadership Group
- RoadSafe website
- Blog: Road Driving for a Safer Railway - The Hidden Problem.
RSSB podcasts cover a range of topics to keep you informed about things that will lead us all toward a better, safer railway. 'All our podcasts can be accessed from our podcast page.