Data & Information System Interface Committee
The Data and Information System Interface Committee (DISIC) was established to provide a focus for the governance, management, and exploitation of data, information and knowledge in a safe, cost effective and efficient manner. In doing this, it will support the data-related aims of the Rail Sector Deal, the Joint Rail Data Action Plan, and the Rail Technical Strategy.
The scope of the DISIC is defined in its remit and aims to:
- Provide advice and input on immediate tactical industry data and information issues, where and when appropriate
- Provide insight into relevant developments related to data and information in the wider transport context.
- Identify industry key issues and use to establish the work programme priorities and content
- Collate and develop appropriate maturity models
- Understand, communicate and seek to influence the status and development of data, information and knowledge management and supporting technologies in the wider transport arena, and rail's role within it
- Develop and define a common data taxonomy
- Develop and define an architecture structure for data, information and knowledge for the rail sector which enables collaboration and innovation
- Develop and define an appropriate Governance Framework for a railway system information architecture, including but not limited to common data taxonomies
- Ensure all systems focus on continuous improvement and can evolve to meet future industry needs and developments
- Actively promote and support other industry partners working in the area of modern cyber threat detection and best practice cyber security approach
- Identify, promote and support the means of achieving value from data
- Explore and demonstrate the opportunities, benefits, risks and barriers to enabling open and shared data sources
- Explore and demonstrate the opportunities, benefits, risks and barriers to enabling future-proof open technology architecture
- Create an environment that allows innovators and developers to have greater understanding of, and easier access to, railway data
- Ensure stakeholder engagement and consensus is obtained to support More Value from Data work programme
The DISIC is currently working to:
- Develop a Work Breakdown Structure in support of industry strategies
- Initiate and progress work in the area of data architectures and data governance.
- Provide active input and participation to other key industry areas, including the Rail Data Council
Establish relationships with other key industry areas, including: the Whole System Interface Committee, the Chief Information Officer Forum, and the DfT's Rail Data Action Plan workstream.
Message from the chair
The group's membership is made up of the following industry categories:
- Met Office
- passenger train operators
- rolling stock owners and leasing companies
- freight and other non-passenger train operators
- infrastructure managers and owners
- suppliers and rolling stock manufacturers
- Department for Transport
- Office of Rail and Road.