Independently Powered Traction Working Group
Currently the group aim to create a plan for how diesel metering can be implemented for the majority of the UK fleet in a cost effective manner and alignment with other metering /downloading work streams.
The scope of the groups work is limited to the investigation of generic issues affecting efficient operation and control of diesel engines and their exhaust emissions.
This sub group aims to deliver the following:
- Enhance the technology readiness levels for diesel metering
- Provide guidance to the rail sector on diesel metering
- Use Diesel metering to calibrate and validate Driver Advisory Systems (DAS)
- Deliver data on fuel maps for the majority of engines used for passenger and freight operations and make this readily available through RSSB research to all stakeholders.
- Advice and support on diesel systems for stakeholders as and when required
- Share knowledge and experience of exhaust after treatment systems. Particularly in relation to IIIB compliant engines.
- An Annual report supporting the above points.
Message from the chair
The groups shall collectively provide expertise and strategic knowledge in the following areas:
- rolling stock diesel traction system design
- rolling stock diesel traction system maintenance
- passenger train operation
- freight and other non-passenger train operators
- relevant legislation concerning diesel fuel.