Rail Wellbeing Alliance
The Rail Wellbeing Alliance is a group established by RSSB in partnership with the industry to inspire healthy lives across the railway. We promote collaboration and provide strategic development and monitoring in health and wellbeing as part of Leading Health and Safety on Britain’s Railway.
The Rail Wellbeing Alliance (RWA) and its subgroups coordinate a variety of health activities across the industry, so that legal requirements, cost benefits, and better health provision within organisations can be universally achieved. This includes concerns identified in Leading Health and Safety on Britain's Railway (LHSBR) strategy. In particular these relate to mental wellbeing, musculoskeletal disorders, fatigue, assessment and management of occupational health hazards, occupational health provision, reporting and monitoring of workforce health and wellbeing, as well as health promotion and ill health prevention.
The Rail Wellbeing Alliance:
- Provides a forum to support the industry to share good practice and bring together operational and subject matter insights.
- Facilitates the collection, analysis and utilisation of industry data to develop and monitor a strategic risk profile. We will model and champion the implementation of data activities.
- Develops marketing and communication channels to encourage use of products and drive cultural changes.
- Provides governance and support to health and wellbeing subgroups.
- Develops the industry’s understanding of the links between health and business performance.
- Supports the implementation of LHSBR by promoting and modelling the introduction of sustainable health and wellbeing initiatives within companies and their supply chains.
- Develops new ideas, pilot studies, and pre-product activities, as well as commissioning research across the health and wellbeing themes.
- Secures resource for the development of health and wellbeing initiatives.
- Identifies relevant best practice from other industries and collaborates with parties who have a mutual interest in health and wellbeing.
The RWA reports directly to the LHSBR Executive Advisory Group (LEAG) and typically meets every six weeks. The group produces a summary of the ‘Top 5 Key Messages’ every quarter, which highlights the key work that has been delivered or is underway. This can be downloaded from the resources section of this page.
If you have any questions or wish to contact the group, please email: Health&Wellbeing@rssb.co.uk.
Message from the chair
To address the strategic challenges for health and wellbeing and fatigue, RWA has industry director level who oversee the delivery and realisation of the benefits. The group also has chairs for these areas and the relevant subgroups.
- Industry Sponsors (x7)
- Deputy Chair
- Workstream Chairs (x7)
- RSSB Principal Strategy Implementation Manager
The RWA includes the ORR as observers. We have representation from across the industry including trade unions, infrastructure, supply chain, freight and train operations.