RSSB has published its 2018-19 Business Plan, setting out how it will work over the year ahead to support a better, safer railway.
Designed to meet a range of industry priorities, this year’s plan focuses on five key areas: safety, health and wellbeing, sustainability, efficient and effective railway, and the future.
Chief Executive Mark Phillips said:
Our ambition is for a better, safer railway and over the next year we continue to use our unique position, insight and skills to support the industry in achieving its goals.
Our core function of safety, which requires constant vigilance, will remain at the heart of what we are doing, alongside a new focus on health and wellbeing. We will also continue to develop our tools supporting the industry’s drive to improve sustainability.
In addition, as the industry looks to the future, we will continue to support the industry as it prepares for Brexit and we will develop an approach for big data.
Specific 2018-19 deliverables include:
- Introducing and updating tools to help reduce safety risk on the railway, promoting operational understanding, learning and decision making
- A new mental health programme and fatigue knowledge hub to share and promote solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of rail workers
- New sustainability tools to support action on air quality, social value and carbon emissions
- Helping to improve efficiency on the railways by introducing new standards and systems to support the effective management of signalling and electrical systems and the design of rolling stock depots and platforms
- Building relationships across the industry and making RSSB more responsive and efficient
- Continuing to prepare the railways for the future through work to address the impacts of Brexit and developing an approach for big data
The 2018-19 Business Plan also includes how RSSB will develop a new five-year strategic plan in consultation with its members, which will set out priorities for the Control Period 6 (CP6) timeframe from April 2019 to 2024.
Watch the video below to see our Chief Executive Mark Phillips introduce our business plan.
Read the full report here