Designated Competent Person Training
Designed for experienced investigators new to the DCP role, and current DCPs who would like a framework to work with to help adhere to industry standards. This course covers the key requirements of managing an investigation and aims to give DCPs a clear structure to support, manage, and plan an investigation. It looks at the responsibilities of a DCP, from reviewing the initial incident to understanding what makes a good recommendation. The overall aim is to help DCPs improve the safety performance of the organisation.
Delegates will explore important factors DCPs need to be aware of, including relevant legislation and ensuring investigations are carried out at the right level. Delegates will also gain an understanding of why human factors are crucial for effective investigations, both from a legal perspective and to discover the underlying causes. This will help DCPs ultimately improve safety and prevent or mitigate incidents from happening again.
This course is designed to be interactive, with both group and individual practical exercises to help delegates acquire the necessary knowledge and skills and get the most out of their learning. The training consists of:
- 2.5 hours of pre-course e-learning to refresh individual DCP’s knowledge about the importance of investigations, fair culture in investigations, and underlying causes, and an introduction to the role of the DCP.
- a 1-day face-to-face training
- Draft an effective remit
- Appoint an appropriate lead investigator
- State how to create an investigation plan
- Identify stakeholders in an investigation
- Describe how to support and coach investigators
- Describe the purpose of the investigation report and review it
- Reviewing recommendations that are sufficiently effective
- Deliver investigation findings to stakeholders, including to a court or at an inquest.
Delegates must complete the e-learning prior to attending the face-to-face training. On completion, delegates will receive an RSSB certificate of attendance confirming the number of CPD hours gained from the training.
Who should attend?Experienced investigators who are looking to become Designated Competent Persons and existing DCPs who would like to have a greater understanding of the role.
- RSSB Member and Affiliate: £385 (£462 including 20% UK VAT)
- RSSB Non-Member: £770 (£924 including 20% UK VAT)
Course dates and booking
Learning hours: E-learning (2.5 hours), face to face delivery: 7 hours in one day.
New Date: 23 February 2024 (London)
This course is delivered by an expert trainer with experience of training frontline staff.
Suzanne AndersonSuzanne Anderson began her railway career as a conductor and has trained frontline staff over several years. Since joining RSSB, she has delivered a range of RSSB courses to numerous companies within rail, integrating her operational experience and knowledge of human factors. This helps delegates build their knowledge and skills in a way that enables them to apply the learning in their roles.
We recognise that every organisation is different, so we work directly with organisations to develop bespoke courses.
If you would like to discuss a bespoke training course, remotely or at a location of your choice, please email email@example.com. We will contact you and discuss your requirements to understand how we can tailor the course for your target audience.
Other related courses
Improve the practical skills and knowledge needed to carry out accident investigations
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.