When the Rules Don't Apply - G-FORCE: Decision-Making Made Easier
Featured story09 September 2021
In this episode Patrick Allinson, Operations Control Manager at Great Western Railway, talks about his experience of the G-FORCE Tool. Patrick has been using the tool in the GWR control centre for nearly 12 months and talks about his experience and some of the incidents when G-FORCE has been used to speed decision making.
Topics in this episode include:
- Patrick introduces himself and describes his experience in the rail industry. [1:39]
- Patrick describes how decision making is handled, and how rules are based around safety and experience. [2:30]
- Patrick talks about the types of people who has used the tool and who could use G-FORCE in future. [3:49]
- Patrick talks about when and how G-FORCE might be used, and when it should not be used. He gives some examples of its use during the trial period. [5:12]
- Patrick talks about why he feels the industry needs G-FORCE and the benefits that it can bring. [9:10]
- Close. [10:44]
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- You can find all the G-FORCE-related resources from this RSSB web page.
RSSB podcasts cover a range of topics to keep you informed about things that will lead us all toward a better, safer railway. 'All our podcasts can be accessed from our podcast page.