Stations Working Group
S-WG considers safety risks to the workforce, passengers and members of the public within the station environment on the GB railways. Its scope covers:
- staff competence
- areas that influence passenger and staff behaviour in stations, including passenger safety information and communications
- activity as directed by People on Trains and in Stations Risk Group (PTSRG).
The hazards/risks within S-WG’s scope include (but are not limited to):
- events where people slip, trip or fall in station areas away from the platform train interface (PTI). This generally excludes platforms* but includes stairs, lifts, escalators, station forecourts, car parks, and taxi ranks.
- manual handling incidents in stations.
- people struck by/colliding with/trapped by objects or other people in station premises.
- falls from height (within station premises).
- fires or explosions in stations (not train fires).
- assault, abuse and other crime and anti-social behaviour**.
*Platforms are in-scope for the PTI Working Group (PTI-WG), but as it is not always clear where a concourse ends and a platform begins, there will be an annual joint meeting to consider common areas.
**In collaboration with the Work-Related Violence Strategic Group.
Activities not included within the scope of this group:
- events in retail premises within stations
- at the platform train interface or on trains
- trespass, suicide or level crossing events.
Message from the Chair
The S-WG is a cross-industry working group that meets quarterly to assess the current and emerging risks to our customers collaboratively. The group takes a broad focus on the end-to-end journey, using collective data and individual good practice to identify potential improvements. The outputs from these meetings can be actioned within the group or escalated within the People on Trains and in Stations Risk Group (PTSRG) for endorsement or further support. This broad and impartial collaboration is an effective platform to achieve consensus and influence the direction that station operations will follow during a time of transition and unprecedented industry change.
The group’s membership is made up of the following industry categories:
- passenger train operators
- rolling stock owners and leasing companies
- infrastructure managers and owners
- Department for Transport (observer)
- Office of Rail and Road (observer).
Chair of Committee: Alasdair Forsyth, First Greater Western Limited
|Alasdair Forsyth||First Greater Western Limited||Independent||Chair|
|Colleen Johnston||Arriva Rail London Ltd||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Emma Coogan||West Midlands Trains Ltd||Other Chair||Member|
|Eugene Cummins||SE Trains Limited||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Gary Stanton||Northern Trains Limited||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|James Moy||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Jemma Widdows||RSSB||RSSB||Meeting Manager|
|Joanna Milton||First Greater Western Limited||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Kathryn Gibb||Office of Rail and Road||Regulator||Observer|
|Lucy Ford||MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Mary Togher||West Midlands Trains Ltd||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Matthew Stacey||Abellio East Midlands Limited||Passenger Train Operating Company||Member|
|Nicholas Cooper||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Scott Fuller||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Stephen Alder||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Tim Brunt||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Toby Jeffries||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|