National Freight Safety Group
It will achieve this by doing the following:
- Understanding the national risk profile for freight and developing strategies improving areas of concern and communicating issues to the route groups, multi-route groups and topic groups for action.
- Obtaining verification that issues have been addressed and are being managed.
- Providing an advisory function for the System Safety Review Group (SSRG) and industry members that the risk associated with freight is being cooperatively addressed.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of freight industry performance in managing risks.
- Promoting and facilitating the management of risk collaboratively by the most appropriate means.
- Ensuring the co-operative structure encompasses the whole of the freight railway system’s risk profile.
- Identifying good practice and sharing it with the relevant groups & stakeholders.
- Promoting improvements in co-operation amongst SMS duty holders.
- Reviewing and challenging the effectiveness of the existing freight meetings to promote safety co-operation.
- Introducing an assurance process into the active groups and the process of safety co-operation.
- Sponsor and own research and development projects.
- Understand legislation and regulation and the impacts on the industry of proposed changes to them from within the UK and Europe.
- Horizon Scan: systematically examine potential threats and opportunities to detect early signs of potentially important developments and changes to the industry risk profile.
Message from the Chair
NFSG facilitates continuous improvement of health, safety, wellbeing and sustainability in the freight sector by cooperating and collaborating in managing system risk. Our Freight Integrated Plan for Safety , which is aligned to Leading Health & Safety on Britain’s Railways strategy, focuses on the top risks for freight. We are prioritising delivery against these, and promoting and facilitating risk management by sharing outputs with wider industry groups.
National Freight Safety Group Steering GroupThe National Freight Safety Group Steering Group provides assurance to and takes direction from RDG FB on issues relating to the collaborative delivery of the LHSBR strategy. We provide governance to NFSG, and ensure that we understand the freight risk profile using a data driven approach.
Rail Freight Operations GroupThe Rail Freight Operations Group monitors and reviews freight SPAD performance, ERTMS implementation, Railway Group Standards drafting, infrastructure issues, RAIB reports and ORR reports; and to act as a ‘task and finish’ group for National Freight Safety Group (NFSG) for selected operational safety matters, as directed.
The group’s membership is made up of the following industry categories:
- freight and other non-passenger train operators
- infrastructure managers and owners
- Office of Rail and Road (observer).
Chair of committee: Dougie Hill, Direct Rail Services Limited
RSSB main representative: Phil Hibberd
|Annette Edgington||Rail Operations (UK) Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Caroline Meek||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Claire Peers||Direct Rail Services Limited||Freight Operator||Alternate|
|Craig Watson||Direct Rail Services Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Dean Duthie||GB Railfreight Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Giselle De Castro||RSSB||RSSB||Meeting Manager|
|Joseph Hagan||Colas Rail Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Liesel von Metz||Devon and Cornwall Railways Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Marc Binney||DB Cargo (UK) Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Michael Jackson||Deutsche Bahn||Freight Operator||Member|
|Neil Sime||Victa Railfreight Limited||Freight Operator||Alternate|
|Nicolas Edwards||DB Cargo (UK) Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Nikita Niven||Freightliner Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Patrick Talbot||Office of Rail and Road||Office of Rail and Road||Observer|
|Paul Frost||Freightliner Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Paul Verghese||Victa Railfreight Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Peter Williams||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Member|
|Richard Dare||Colas Rail Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Roy Howes||GB Railfreight Limited||Freight Operator||Alternate|
|Stephanie Ferry||Rail Operations (UK) Limited||Freight Operator||Member|
|Steve Rhymes||Network Rail Infrastructure Limited||Infrastructure Manager||Alternate|
|Stuart Anderson||GB Railfreight Limited||Freight Operator||Member|