Sustainable Rail Executive
The Sustainable Rail Executive (SRE) champions a whole industry approach to sustainability, influencing and shaping the sector’s sustainability strategy and making rail the leading mode of sustainable transport. It works to respond to Government ambitions, and oversee and promote an ambitious, affordable, and coherent rail sustainability programme.
SRE is the industry’s committee which:
- Drives forward the development of an ambitious, affordable and coherent sustainability strategy to make rail the leading mode of sustainable transport.
- Co-ordinates policy and industry responses to sustainability challenges, influencing governments to weigh investment choices in rail against sustainability outcomes in other modes.
- Collates and reports the combined efforts of the industry into a single, understandable view.
- Reviews industry’s progress and provides challenge where it is needed, holding duty holders to account.
- Assesses sustainability funding and identifies shortfalls, impressing upon funders the need for further support.
Message from the chair
The SRE has members representing these industry stakeholders:
- Non Passenger Train Operators
- Passenger Train Operators
- Infrastructure Managers
- Department for Transport
- Office of Rail and Road
- Freight companies
- Rolling Stock Owners